Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Where have you gone, Vince Young?

"Where have you gone, Vince Young? The Longhorn Nation turns its lonely eyes to you."

I can hear the haunting voices of Simon & Garfunkel, singing this line in my mind every time I think about Texas football lately. Okay, so it's back to the Holiday Bowl for the Longhorns. Is this supposed to be inspiring? Uh, no. Is the fact that Texas, despite looking beatable
every week except for the Iowa State game, still has a shot at a 10 win season impressive? Not unless you're Texas A&M...oh, the same scrub team that beat us down again (and proceeded to ruin Thanksgiving for me).

Texas football these last 2 years is a cautionary tale. There should be a Warning Label with the Longhorn logo on it, given to every coach in America. The label, quite simply, is this: Don't Blow Your Chance.

When you are presented with the opportunity to seize the fruits of a once-in-a-lifetime victory (like, say, the 2005 Rose Bowl), you better take advantage because the window closes fast. Two years later, Texas is back in the "underachieving" category again. I dare say that the UT football program is securely in the rear-view mirror of Oklahoma (again) and fighting to stay #2 in the conference. The program is not in a better place today than it was on any year in the last 5 leading up to the 2005 Rose Bowl (aka "The Vince Young Show").

I originally intended on writing more of my "thoughts" on the Longhorn football program, but it's kind of making me depressed. Besides, it wouldn't be all that insightful. If interested, you can check out Barking Carnival for your fix on Texas sports, including perspective on the football program. As for me, I might need to go watch my commemorative 2005 Rose Bowl DVD in order to feel better.

No comments: